Sunday, February 24, 2019

Investigating Dance in Early Childhood Education: On Analysis and Synthesis

This week we were fortunate to have a meeting on our progress and work as we work on analysis and synthesis of our advanced practitioner inquiry, directed by Maria Salgado from Middlesex University London MA Dance, MAPP on our progress and work as we work on analysis and synthesis of our advanced practitioner inquiry.  It was fascinating to listen to my classmates´research and the different topics they are looking into.  Our themes are as different as our personalities and professional backgrounds. 

Inquiry analysis and synthesis is not as linear as one would hope.  We waltz from literature to inquiry back and forth as we design and redesign our research after our discoveries lead us in different directions.  The pleasure of meetings such as this one is the magic of collaboration.  I entered the meeting with a certain level of frustration since my research on Dance in Early Childhood Education brought with it an emotional baggage in which I hoped to discover areas to seek convergence between pedagogy, educational theory and dance education.  In my vision I wished to find intersections that would direct the search for best practices based on sound educational theory for the dance classroom and for the early childhood education student.  The dream is to understand and advance dance education within my own professional practice and beyond into my dance community.  

To my awe I have discovered literature on Dance Education for young students as far back as the 1920s, and I am privileged to read such dance literature rich in knowledge and tradition.  However, to my great academic and artistic dismay, authorities on the subject have been calling to action for well-prepared dance educators, dance programmes and dance education based on such principles of promotion of the well-being and integral development of students in the early stages of child development.  

Yet, as thrilled as I am to have discovered such beautiful and important literature the looming question hangs on me like a shadow:  Why do dance educators teach as if we did not know anything of early developmental pedagogy?  Why the divorce between theory and practice?  Why, unlike other professionals, are dance teachers not devouring the available literature and staying updated with the newest findings of the profession?  Ethically, how does a dance teacher permit herself to divorce from the knowledge of the adequate and safe exercise of her profession? 

The answers lay in a deep philosophical analysis of the exercise of the profession of dance education.  The philosophy, purpose and justification of dance education attain protagonism in such analysis and synthesis for my inquiry.  

As I shared my experience with my colleagues, a truth became apparent to me: this experience of a divide between practice and the available knowledge resonated in the professional practices of all my colleagues present in the meeting as well.  From our collaborative analysis, I left the meeting with a sense of concern and importance to my investigation.  The divide between Dance Education Theory, Early Childhood Development and the professional execution of dance class requires great urgency.



Image result for gif ballerina studying

Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creativity and Choreographic Collaboration

I studied extensively to become a dancer.  I was a dance student for so long that I do not remember ever not being a dance student- I was a ...