Sunday, September 30, 2018

On Knowing and Learning

This morning I had the fantastic opportunity to participate in a virtual class discussion as a student of the professional Master’s in arts, Dance Pedagogy and Technique with my professors and classmates from Middlesex University.  I was terribly nervous as I sought to prepare notes on the topic for discussion: Knowing and Learning.  From the literature I had gathered I had divided my conceptual understanding of both terms in two columns in a scrap piece of paper.  Knowing a topic or subject was defined by some authors as exposure to and a superficial approach to the subject at hand, while learning was a higher level of cognitive exploration that results in the student taking ownership of the content and learns and constructs an understanding unique to his own mind.  Literature from the neuroscientific perspective, goes as far as to describe learning as resulting in a physical change in the mind of the student: new synapsis would form in the mind for information to be stored, and then and only then can we say that a student is learning.  After this broad literature search of mine and with my chart in hand, I joined our class discussion.
Since this was y first class, I was very nervous.  I feared that my findings might not be the correct focus of my university or of the Dance Pedagogy and Technique programme in itself.  I discovered though after more than an hour of healthy and intense discussion that the aim of our work is to do precisely this, to give meaning drawing from our professional practice and our research to such complex concepts as are knowing and learning.  From my classmates a lovely concept of knowing as a fluid and changing process emerged.  Each classmate shared philosophical approaches and the grand experience of discovering our students´ process of knowledge acquisition.  From the discussion I broadened my analysis from my personal professional practice, as this has been only my initial stages of analysis, to focus beyond that and direct my attention to the evolution that my students are experimenting in front of my eyes.  I felt it was an excellent start of my Sunday morning, as I now gathered greater insight after sharing in such lively and passionate discussion.
Image result for clipart class discussion

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mella, it was great listening to your inputs this morning. And yes, I agree with you knowledge and learning are some very complex concepts. It seems to me, that always when I just think, "oh, I think I start to understand", a whole new perspective shows up, to add yet another layer on what Knowledge and Learning might be ;-). At least it always stays interesting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agata and Marianella - I was just about to comment that knowledge and learning to me always feels like its wrapped in layers - as soon as you understand something you realise you then don't understand something else, and so the cycle continues. Kolb's learning cycle for me always reminds me of these layers of learning also. We are constantly growing from our practice and so our understanding and knowledge of a subject is constantly changing too. Wish I had been there for the chat!

      Delete
    2. It's crazy isn't it how the course and modules allow you to continually to reflect on everything. I've found that these 'skills' and methods of reflecting I'm using continually in class and always coming up with new ideas and thoughts. It's hard to process these at times but has got easier as the course has progressed. I find it easier to write reflections down and go back to them and try to gain a deeper understanding on what they mean... Sorry could make the Skype! Looking forward to the next one

      Delete
    3. Agata it was lovely to hear about your opinions and experiences during our group meeting as well. I find it extraordinary that geographically we are so far apart and yet feeding and enriching each other´s academic exploration. I loved hearing about your work. Thank you for taking a moment to write here!

      Delete
    4. Chrissie, I completely agree with you! Of all our topics I believe the notion of learning is the most complex of all. Thank goodness, can you imagine static education and that we still taught dance as was taught in the royal courts centuries ago! I believe, like you that it is a complex cyclical process as we reevaluate our roles as learners and teachers back and forth.

      Delete
    5. Garry, I wish you had joined us! The conversation was quite intense, and we found that our ideas were diverse but not divergent. I think the talking out loud helped peal those layers of understanding and listen to the analysis of others. The most important conclusion made as a group is that knowledge is fluid resulting from a complex learning process. I hope we get to talk to you next time!!! Greetings from Costa Rica.

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd been there for the morning discussion! I would have loved to have heard what you prepared. Sunday skypes are always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, you know what it would be a lovely idea to have the sessions recorded, I do not know if it is possible, just an idea! Garry wrote too that he was unable to attend. I was there, and despite note-taking I feel that I may have forgotten a lot or maybe there are connections I could make in later analysis...Let´s remember to suggest this!

      Delete
  3. Hi everyone, it was lovely to hear everyone’s thoughts and experiences last Sunday. I have been reading a lot of resources from Dewey and Kolbs since then I feel like I’m getting a better understanding of professional Practice.
    I’ve never had the time to really reflect on my teaching skills or experiences and feel like last Sunday was a great way to start acknowledging myself as a teacher. It was really lovely to speak with you all and hear about others experiences and learning. I am currently reading, reading and reading and blogging at the same time my ideas and thoughts of this process. Looking forward to chat with you all again soon
    Tara

    ReplyDelete

Creativity and Choreographic Collaboration

I studied extensively to become a dancer.  I was a dance student for so long that I do not remember ever not being a dance student- I was a ...