Friday, November 2, 2018

Miss Mary Day

As I reflect on my dance journey, I have taken a moment to revisit my dance mentor, Miss Mary Day the founder and director of both the Washington School of Ballet and the Washington Ballet.  As I read through articles of hers, I came across the following words of Kevin McKenzie, one of her students, former principal dancer and artistic director of the American Ballet Theatre, he eloquently explained:


As time went by, students at WSB looked forward to earning the distinction of being known as a “Mary Day dancer.” The best of her students had a confidence born of the sense that, by virtue of an innate quality that Day had recognized, they were part of a select group. “Those of us who grew up under Mary Day’s tutelage were proud that in a crowded studio we could be easily picked out,” says McKenzie. “The characteristics that made us stick out were a fine musicality and sense of line, [and] heads and arms that worked through a harmony of breath and sensitivity.”

Miss Mary Day was ahead of her time.  She spoke of differentiated learning, of interdisciplinary studies and of the role of dance education in the development of the child- all years before these topics would come into vogue.  She would always tell me that the focus was on learning, if the focus was on learning the dance student would never get lost.

I share here this article in hopes to preserve her memory and wise words.  Today I miss her dearly and feel great gratitude to have been her student.

Magazine article link: DC's Grande Dame: DT Lifetime Achievement Awardee Mary Day


Interview Kevin McKenzie:



Remembering Miss Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creativity and Choreographic Collaboration

I studied extensively to become a dancer.  I was a dance student for so long that I do not remember ever not being a dance student- I was a ...